What I've been reading during this isolation period.
You'd think that with 4000 books at my disposal I'd always have something to read, but like you, my interests change from topic to topic, and I try to read as much as I can on each topic that is currently of interest to me.
First, I've always been intrigued by the Hummer Mathematical 3-Card Monte Principle, found in Hugard's Magic Monthly Volume IX, Number 5 - October 1951. After reading all I could, I then discovered some incredible variations in books that came across my desk. Here are some that utilize similar methodologies, for various different routines and effects:
1) Body Mentalism - Juan Pablo Ibanez
"Body Mentalism" is an in depth study of an ingenious principle. You'll find more than 16 extraordinary mentalism routines, using only spectators and almost no elements.
- These routines are powerful, practical and extremely versatile.
- You can amaze 20 people or a full theatre.
- The principles involved allow you to perform one effect or a complete routine with a strong climax.
- "ACAAN", "Book test", "Lie detector" and many more!
- You'll be ready to perform miracles anywhere and anytime!
I get copies of this in once in a while, but they don't last very long. It's a small book, but filled with routines for stage utilizing variations of the Hummer Principle.
2) The Green Neck System by Gabriel Werlen & Marchand de trucs
I've had trouble keeping this one in stock, and even though I've ordered more copies, I haven't seen any for at least a month.
In The Green Neck System, Gabriel Werlen teaches you an amazing principle that you'll be able to use to perform a whole host of stunning magic and mentalism routines.
You'll have a wide range of effects at your disposal, some impromptu, others prop-based. You'll be able to use them in both close-up performances and stage shows, with some even working long-distance (perfect for when you want to perform for someone over the phone).
A vast array of plots are given the Green Neck treatment - from 'Which hand?' effects to pseudo-psychometry and muscle-reading demonstrations, via 'Bank Night' routines, chair tests, Russian-roulette effects, divinations, predictions and a wealth of other presentations...
Best of all, the Green Neck System is intriguingly simple, and doesn't require your spectators to follow any complex instructions or elaborate procedures.
3) Remote Perception System by Michael Murray
Within this book will discover multiple methodologies which will afford you the ability to reveal the exact winner(s) of a Rock, Paper, Scissors tournament, but will also allow you to detail the specific weapons (rock/paper/scissors) that each person threw.
Best of all, these ideas are versatile enough to be performed live in person, over Skype, and even over the phone and it works in any language too!
4) Inv3rsion by Pierre Boc & Yves Meret. This is a 52-page ebook, that comes out of France. I initially heard about this from an online chat regarding the Hummer Principle, and through a series of searches, found out how to get it in English. After reading through it, and helping the authors translate it into better English, I have to say, I really like it.
This booklet takes the Hummer idea and expands it into quite a few routines and ideas. Pseudopsychometric, M&Ms, Cups, Las Vegas Loser, and a bank night routine with 6 identical envelopes. It's really good.
5) Finally, another that I only recently discovered, though it's been on the market since 2015, is Mark Elsdon's Tequila Hustler. When I read the following description, I wondered, "How is this possible?"
Mark Elsdon's Tequila Hustler is THE game changer.
- No electronics, no gimmicks, no prep.
- Any currency, any language, anywhere, any time.
- Perform in person, over the phone or even Skype.
- 100% accuracy guaranteed!
Then I read this small, 34-page booklet, and was very excited. I tried it on quite a few friends, mostly over the phone, and it worked. Is it mathematical in nature? Yes, but the simplicity of it makes it easy to conceal the binary system required to accomplish it. Take my word for it, it is really good!
Along with those titles, I have also been skimming through old booklets, looking for those hidden gems, some very recent, and some as old as 70 years ago.
Well, keep on reading, and keep on learning.
Take a moment and share what you've been studying. I'd love to hear about it.
Owner - Don's Used Magic & Books